Hi! Welcome to “good mood food” from Kale Me Maybe’s Carina Wolff. If you’ve made it here and aren’t yet a subscriber, come join! You can expect recipes in your inbox every Tuesday, and paid subscribers receive even more every Thursday!
Life for me right now is pretty much making videos, looking for furniture for house, planning for our wedding, repeat again.
Every day I have a to-do list that bleeds off the page, and I’m at the point where I’m just laughing at my naivete in believing that doing a more non-traditional, laidback wedding would mean I wouldn’t have a lot of wedding planning to do. We’re two months out, and I’m just still flabbergasted at the number of hours I spend per week working on it. I can only imagine it must be worse for those who have even more to think about, like floral arrangements, seating charts, bridal party stuff, etc. I think I would probably explode, so props to all the brides out there who do it all.
All that said, I am definitely getting more and more excited as the time gets closer. Our wedding is kicking off an epic wedding season (we were invited to 7 weddings other than our own!!!), so I’m trying to savor our “free time” we have right now before the madness begins. No, but really, I am very excited about this year, especially when I think back to two years ago being scared and cooped up and stir crazy and lonely. I would take this busy feeling ANY day over having to quarantine.
I got the idea for this recipe from a photo I saw on Instagram from shallweshallot. I’m not even sure all the ingredients in theirs, but I knew I suddenly needed to make tomato jam, and I wanted it to be paired with bacon.
I used a vegan smoked cheddar here because it’s what I had at home, but you can use regular cheddar here (or Parmesan would be good too)! Clearly, the dish isn’t vegan, so make your own rules (also you can leave out the bacon if you’re vegetarian).
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 1/3 cups finely chopped roma tomatoes (about 3)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tbsp sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp aleppo pepper
Pinch of salt & pepper
Rest of Ingredients
4 strips bacon
2 taco-sized flour tortillas
1/4 cup grated cheddar or Parmesan (I used Vio Life’s plant-based smoked cheddar)
1/2 avocado, diced
Optional: Dill for garnish
1. Add tomato jam ingredients to a saucepan or pot. Turn the heat to medium, and cook for about 30 minutes until liquid evaporates and jam thickens, about 30 minutes (lower the heat a little if it’s cooking too fast or burning) Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl to let cool (jam will thicken as it cools).
2. While jam is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Start with the bacon. I like to cook the bacon in a cast-iron skillet, adding the bacon to the pan while the cast iron is still cool. I turn the heat up to low, and cook it low and slow, turning the bacon over frequently with tongs and letting it cook in its own fat until crispy. If you have your own preferred method, do that!
3. Next, crisp up the tortillas. You can add it to a separate pan with some olive oil, or use the pan with the bacon fat. Turn the heat to medium, and cook the tortillas one at a time for 1-2 minutes on one side. Sprinkle on the cheese, and then flip, cooking again for a minute or two. Transfer to a plate cheese side up.
4. Once you’ve lightly crisped both tortillas, fry your eggs using the same bacon fat, or heat up some butter or olive oil in a pan and cook the eggs until the whites are cooked and the yolk is still runny.
5. Spread the tomato jam on both tortillas, then top with the eggs and the bacon (broken into pieces). Finish off with the avocado, some fresh dill, and black pepper.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT!
Last week, paid subscribers got this salmon recipe (which makes me lol, because if you have been following me on Instagram stories, you’ll know that I just got probably 15 pounds of salmon sent to me, so it’s funny that last week’s recipe was salmon, too).
I’m now doing a seven-day free trial if you want to become a paid subscriber, so feel free to check everything out! Every Thursday you’ll get another exclusive newsletter, and all my previous recipes and posts are available in the archive! Your support means the world!
Don’t miss out on any posts!!! Become a subscriber and get even more in your inbox every Thursday (plus access to everything in the archives!!) Paid subscribers (aka my VIPS!!) receive extra recipes, behind-the-scenes content, articles, and more!